Beautiful Park, famous people under the name of “Askold’s grave” — the place of many unfortunate things. Here in ancient times was dead and buried Prince Askold, after alternately gave way to the Church, city and German cemeteries, and in the middle of the twentieth century buried the soldiers who died during the liberation of Kiev. Many changes have endured and the Church of St. Nicholas at Askold grave: from the sanctuary to the Park pavilion.
The history of the Park “Askold’s grave”
According to the ancient legend, Askold’s tomb owes its name to the head of the Kiev. Prince Askold was deceived and murdered in 882, and then buried at the place of his death. The cause of the tragedy was the desire of the Novgorod Prince Oleg to take the place of Kievan ruler.
Another name of the area — “Ugric tract” (“Ugorske tract”). It appears QC memo about ugrah, which in ancient times led a nomadic life and set up camp near the Askold grave. Thereafter, the tribe moved West, where he founded his own public education — Hungary. Continue reading
Scientists were convinced of the correctness of Strabo: a few birds that approached the “gates of hell”, was killed in front of them
A portal leading to the realm of the dead or the gates of Pluto, who in Roman mythology was the ruler of the underworld, managed to find Italian archaeologists, reports Discovery. About the discovery, archaeologists announced in March at a conference held in Istanbul. According to scientists, the discovery was made during excavations of the ruins of Hierapolis, an ancient Phrygian city, located in southwestern Turkey.
Excavations were carried out by a team of archaeologists under the leadership of Salento, Francesco d ‘ Andria, a Professor of classical archaeology. He said that “the gates of hell”, archaeologists were able to detect, reconstructed the route of a thermal spring.
Ancient people believed the gate of Pluto entering the realm of the dead. They described this place as a mysterious cave, which was filled with poisonous air. And its size was big enough to through cordoned-off entrance there could get. “This space is completely filled with a dense fog, because of which it is impossible to see the ground. Continue reading
Many interesting discoveries may be waiting for archaeologists, located in the famous `Valley
A group of Italian archaeologists unexpectedly discovered five tombs in the clean sand from the site of the temple built on the West Bank of the Nile during the reign of Amenhotep II (1427 – 1401 BC), reports Ahram Online. Archaeologists involved in these studies will be able to play slot machines for free without registration at an affordable price. The age of the graves was less than the age of the temple itself. According to the Minister of Affairs of antiquities of Egypt Mohammed Ibrahim, burials date back to 1075 – 664 BCE
Each tomb had a deep shaft leading into the burial chamber, where there was a wooden sarcophagus.
Sarcophaguses were painted with black and red paint. Inside the sarcophagus were found the human remains. In the tomb archaeologists also found several vessels, in which the ancient Egyptians used to place the internal organs of the dead.
Part of the vessels was made of limestone, the other of baked clay.
The lids of the vessels were manufactured in the form of heads of the four sons of the Egyptian God Horus: Imsety (with human head), hapy (baboon head), Duamutef (Jackal-headed) and Kobegenova(with head of Falcon). Continue reading